Friday, November 5, 2010

Product Review: Mayline Eastwinds Portrait PC Desk Cart




I am so excited! My computer desk is here, set up, and ready to go.

To back up, I am in the process of renovating my entire office. The floor slopes. Some good friends of ours are going to tear up the floor and put down a new level floor. My husband and I live in a log cabin in the country that has its perks and its challenges. The sloping floor is definitely one of its challenges.

Currently, there is a built-in bed and 2 build-in dressers in this room which take up lots of room in this already tiny space. Those three items will be permanently removed. I am so happy about that. Mice and wooly caterpillars have gotten into the dressers before and eaten holes in some of my clothes and left mouse droppings. To prevent this, I have to place all clothes in a plastic storage bin inside these drawers. To try to avoid the musty smell, I have them filled with dryer sheets as well. The bed just takes up all kinds of floor space that could be filled with bookshelves, etc.

I have three computers: a Macintosh that does not have internet capabilities, a desktop PC that does have internet capabilities, and my laptop computer. Each computer serves several different functions for my storytelling and freelance writing business. I have been using the laptop in our den since the office is so claustrophobic as it is right now. My husband would love to have our den back as just our TV room rather than my extra office plus TV room.

I am going to turn this room into my dream office plus dressing room. When it gets done, on one wall there will be one new dresser, a work table, this new computer desk, and another small unit with one shelf that will hold some plastic stackable drawers. On another wall will be a computer desk that I already own plus one 5-shelf bookcase. On the third wall will be a two more bookcases plus a hutch bookshelf. On the fourth wall are the closet and the door. The third computer is going to sit on a computer desk that I already own kind of in the middle of the room. See the diagram to get an idea of what I am talking about.







I looked through the multiple computer desks sold on the various CSN stores. Given my needs and the tiny space I have to work with, I settled on the Mayline Eastwinds Portrait PC Desk Cart being absolutely perfect for my needs. On top of that, the price was very reasonable.

I ordered the desk on November 1st on-line. I got an e-mail confirmation that it would show up on either Nov. 3rd or Nov. 4th. It arrived on the 4th. The FED EX people placed the box on our front porch. My husband and I had to carry it in.

Today, Nov. 5th, our handy man and his helper came by. They put the desk together for me in about 45 minutes.  He said that there is a mistake in the directions. On the diagram, it labels a screw as “L.” On the packet that it came in, it was labeled as “M.” I’m so glad that my husband and I did not try to put it together. That would have frustrated us a lot as we are not that savvy about those kinds of things. Other than that, he said it was pretty easy to put together.

He was impressed with how sturdy it is. I am impressed with how pretty it is. I love the color of the wood. See the picture. Since my floor has not yet been re-done, I am going to temporarily move it into the TV room and use it with my laptop. Once my room gets re-done, I am going to use it with my desktop PC.

I love the fact that it has a built-in place to put the tower that is off the floor. That is especially ideal as a friend of ours had his office floor. The computer towers that sat on the floor were ruined.

I also love that it has a separate little area for the mouse. By the way, if you buy this desk, you will want to be right-handed as that is the only way that makes sense when you put this desk together.

No comments:

Post a Comment