Saturday, October 30, 2010

Memories of many end tables from the past

I am being haunted by memories of pretty end tables I have owned from the past. Since moving back to Tennessee in 1982, I have lived in three locations in Kingsport, Tennessee; two locations in Chattanooga, Tennessee; one location in Knoxville, Tennessee; and now a log cabin in the country in Mosheim, Tennessee. As you probably have guessed, I have gone through a lot of furniture in that time.

In addition to going through my own furniture, my mother-in-law had to leave her beloved home to go live permanently in a nursing home due to a condition with Parkinson’s and not being able to take care of most of her personal needs. Then my father-in-law suddenly passed back in December of 2008. Since that time, we have had to sell off all of their furniture to help pay the property tax, electric bill, gas bill, and water bill. Since Medicaid covers her living and medical expenses, they basically own the house. When that sad day comes that she passes, pray that that is many years into the future, then the house reverts to them. In the meantime, we are left to maintain this vacant house without being able to sell or rent it. It is a very odd situation.

They had some beautiful end tables that I have sold through Craig’s List. One set of end tables that they had down in the den were so pretty that I would have loved to have kept them; however, we had no room for even one more piece of furniture.

I moved to this little log cabin in the country nearly two years ago. I also sold off most of my furniture through Craig’s List. The furniture I was really sad to sell was this beautiful coffee table and end table set with wood frames and this beautiful cobalt blue mirrored glass. I bought this furniture set at an antique store when I was leaving Kingsport to move to Chattanooga. It was exactly my taste and I cherished it for many years. I kept that set when I lived in both locations of Chattanooga and for eleven and a half years in Knoxville, Tennessee.

During that stretch while I lived in Knoxville, I met and got engaged. We had a very long engagement. When we finally decided to tie the knot, it was decided that I would leave my apartment in Knoxville and move to my fiance’s log cabin in Mosheim. Mosheim is about one hour east from Knoxville. He already had a fully furnished house. I got rid of most of my furniture. He got rid of a few items. Then we bought some items brand new together. Sadly, the cobalt blue glass end tables and coffee table set had to go. Sigh! Oh, well! I enjoyed that set for a lot of years.

Naturally, my fiancé became my husband about a month after I moved here. It would have been sooner; however, his father suddenly passed during that stretch. It was a great shock to all of us.

By the way, the end table pictured above is not the same as what I have; however, it has a similar feel.

Thanks for listening! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment